Thursday, October 30, 2008

New Styles

I've been working on two new styles of beads. The first I call "Metallics." They were inspired by a glass artist I met in Tuscon last February named Cynthia Liebler-Saari. The blue on the bead below was created by rolling the white glass in white enamel (powdered glass) then applying copper foil and burning it off. It's a neat chemical reaction, don't you think? Then, I added flecks of gold and platinum leaf. I highlighted the bead below with raised black accents. Sometimes these beads look very earthy. Sometimes they look almost Japanese. They look great with Hill Tribes silver.

The next bead is a take off on my bird's nests. It is a basic black bicone with iridescent dark silver plum glass stringers wrapped loosely around the bottom half. I think it looks a bit like a pendulum - a great focal drop for a necklace. I've also made this style in transparent gray and transparent cranberry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I would immediately put that block bead in a bracelet with some Onyx or Swarovski Crystal, Hill Tribes silver and plum colored pearls!!!

Handmade Beaded Jewelry Blog

Lori Smith said...

Excellent idea! It's a little large for a bracelet, but I think I will make a necklace or pendant this week!

Lisa Atchison - Touch of Glass Designs said...

Lori,

I love what you have done with DSP stringer! Very, very funky, yet classy! I can't wait to see it in "person".