Sunday, January 4, 2009

Boro Bead Bonanza!

For about two years I've been obtaining the equipment and skills necessary for making boro beads. There's just something magical about borosillicate glass. I particularly like using boro beads in my wire jewelry creations.

Average sized boro beads require a much hotter flame than soft glass. To get a hotter flame, I had to purchase a new torch and two new, powerful (and expensive) oxygen concentrators. Then, I had to build my inventory of boro glass.

I've taken two classes in boro, but there's still a big learning curve when it comes to putting it into practice. This past weekend, I invited an online friend from Ft. Wayne, Karin of IF-Designs, to come and share some of her experience using my personal setup. My buddy, Lisa Atchison of Touch of Glass Designs hosted the mini-class. Of course we had a GREAT time and made dozens of cool experimental beads.

However, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to have to roll up my sleeves and devote some concentrated time to adjusting to boro. Sometimes all the coaching in the world is no substitute for experience.

Here are some pictures from the weekend for your enjoyment.


2 comments:

Lisa Atchison - Touch of Glass Designs said...

Oh Lori, I had such a great time spending the weekend with you and Karin. She had so much information to share!! But you are correct...we will need practice, practice, practice! It will be fun to take the boro journey together!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time. The beads you posted look great so far. I can't wait to see more!