Thursday, December 11, 2008

Go Bead or Go Home!

That's my new slogan.

I've been praying for direction in my life. I've been a Technical Writer for over 20 years, and I love doing it, but I haven't had a challenging assignment since 2001. In fact, I've been hired for very high-paying contract jobs only to be bored to tears. I'm either just really adept and fast, or my employers didn't need a full-time writer. I tried not to "look a gift horse in the mouth" but I cannot justify spending the rest of my life sitting in a cubicle feeling guilty and trying to look busy. Admittedly, if the right opportunity comes along I'll go back for the benefits, but for now I'm content to explore this new adventure.

My last contract expired in August. Since then I've been laying low to let my leg fracture heal and trying to torch and bead consistently and I think it has taken that much time to start to find my creative self again. Last week I poking around in my studio and I remembered the sports phrase "Go big or go home!" Since then I've been praying and talking to other beaders and friends about growing my business. I feel like it's in a delicate stage right now, but I'm trusting that I'm heading down the right road. It's a gamble, but I think it's also a challenge I need at this point in my life. Art is so personal, and I need to find my way back to the creative child in me, and I need to connect more with others - two areas I've always wanted to work on.

So much for the "deep" stuff! Here are some new beads listed on Etsy:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely. I've been on the verge of wanting to do the same thing, but I hate all of the energy and time that the 'promotional' stuff takes away from torch time.

Anyway, good luck! Your beads are beautiful and I think, if you truly have the desire, you'll have no trouble at all growing your business.