Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tales from the Dark Side

Hello friends and welcome to all of my new friends from the Greenwood WAMM Fest. What a great time!

Generally speaking, in the US there are two kinds of glass used by lampworkers: soft glass and borosilicate. Up until last month I have used mainly soft glass. Soft glass is available in many different colors and does not require all that much torch power and oxygen ($$$) to work. However, I recently purchased a very powerful oxygen concentrator that has enabled me to move up to borosilicate glass. When a lampworker starts out in soft glass and moves into boro, it is jokingly referred to as moving to "the Dark Side."

Borosilicate glass or "boro" is also called "pyrex," just like the measuring cups in your kitchen. It requires much more heat to melt, but the colors and clarity of this type of glass can be mesmerizing! Everything about this glass is sensitive - the flame temperature, oxygen content, length of time in the flame, length of time you strike it, length of time you anneal it in the kiln, etc. But, the results are oh so worth it. Here are some of my favorite beads from my first month on the "Dark Side."

Through Sunday September 13, all Boro focals will be ON SALE for $8.00 EACH with $2 USPS shipping! That's a STEAL for this type of glass and all the work that goes into it. Here's what you do:

1. Go to this link and pick the beads you want: http://picasaweb.google.com/lori.smith.indy/8BoroSale?feat=directlink

2. Check the comment under each bead picture to make sure the bead is not sold or reserved by someone else. If not, put your name in the comment box for that bead.

3. Send me an email stating that you have made your selections with your PayPal ID.

4. I will bill you through PayPal.

5. Once I have received your payment I will ship your beads.




2 comments:

Manuela said...

I love your dark side :-) dear Lori and ... because I am thinking for a while about this side .... I am thinking now deeper :-),

xoxox
Manuela

Lori Smith said...

Come on over, Manuela! I will help you get srarted. It has taken me a few wees with a recipie book I bought but I'm now branching out on my own with some favorite colors.