Sunday, October 25, 2009

What a Whirlwind Week!

Somebody please remind me not to schedule two shows back-to-back again, and a 2-day lampwork class in between! Aw, it wasn't that bad, and of course I had a great time.

One of the highlights was my two-day class with the fabulous Kim Fields in her sculptured birds class. I have to tell you, that lady is quite a talent and I learned a lot. I was on the verge of selling off all of my soft glass but now I'm thinking twice. We made a simple transparent bird, an owl, a "Pudgie," a Snow Bunting, a Chickadee, a branch for birds to sit on, and finally, Kim demonstrated a "fantasy" bird. Here is one of Kim's birds, a Vermilion Flycatcher.


I had been meditating on the following scripture that week. As we were making the birds and looking at books to understand their detail I was reminded again of the wonders of nature and how each species is so unique and realizing there are so many different kinds... I was just amazed and humbled once again at the creativity of God.

What is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?...
You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:
all flocks and herds,
and the beasts of the field,
the birds of the air,
and the fish of the sea. ~ Psalm 8:4-8

At The Art Center bead show in Highland Park, IL (Chicago) I had fair sales and got to meet some long-admired and friendly beadmakers such as Ellen Black, Karen Ovington and Ofilia Cinta who's watermelon quartz murini hollow fish stole my heart!


The best part of the weekend was probably the food, and by food I mean pizza - Gino's East pizza - and introducing it to my nephew. I couldn't believe there was a Gino's right near our hotel when planning our trip and I was so excited to taste it again after almost 30 years. We got a 12" pan pizza, and when they say pan, you should imagine a cake pan. It was so yummy, and Jake loved it. We ended up eating it for Satruday dinner and finishing it off for Sunday lunch. Mmmmm, mmmm!

Oh, by the way, be sure to stop by http://www.lampworkbylori.com/ to vote on where you buy your lampwork beads and check out my tentative 2010 schedule.

Lampwork Lori
lori@lampworkbylori.com

No comments: