Friday, February 13, 2009

Creatively Challenged in an Artistic World

I know that I am talented and creative in many ways, but I am often creatively challenged when it comes to making beads and jewelry... well, perhaps more than often. Being frustrated by "bead block" is NOT the best feeling in the world, especially when you're under pressure to produce.

Some artists are able to use nature, fine art, mood, etc. to create art. Some are able to reach down into their own soul and express their personality and feelings in terms of art. To me, that is the holy grail of what I do... the ability to show you a little bit of who I am by showing you something I made with my own hands, and ultimately, have you admire it, piece by piece, until you can understand a little more about who I am.

Admittidly, I spend at least half of my time in an effort to create something that says "me." First, I had to find me. I have gone through some tough times lately, so I had to really dig to rediscover myself. Second, the art. Even in lampwork there's nothing new under the sun, but I was determined to find something - some style, some technique, some color that really hit home for me.

In the past 5 years, lightning has only struck once. Just this year I was inspired by a beautiful, wispy bead I saw on a show and tell thread of www.Lampworketc.com. I worked with that technique to come up with my own spin. After making a few of those beads I cannot tell you how satisfying it felt.

It was very profound to me when my friend Dee "got it." She actually talked about how my Wispy Twistie beads reflected the part of the essence of who I am... understated, unstructured, unpredictable, and sometimes elusive.

I love making my Wispy Twistie beads more than any other type of bead. When the glass gods are frowning, it's my go-to bead. I could make 20 in a row and still not be tired of them.

What do you create that expresses who you are? What is your go-to bead or design techique?

1 comment:

Mermaid Glass said...

I feel your pain. I know where you are. I've been there in the past and I often go back for a quick visit. :)

Your beads are beautiful and you'll probably discover - as you continue your glassy journey - that you'll discover many different 'You' beads.

I'm so ADD, I don't have a 'Go To' bead. I just try to always enjoy the trip and try something new every day at the torch.