Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lampwork by Lori - The Early Days

This is a little embarassing, but it's kinda fun to look back.

November 15, 2003 was the day I made my very first bead. I had traveled to my first ISLAGA meeting in northern Indiana. Up to that point, I had read TONS of information about lampworking, and I knew how everything worked in theory, but I hadn't yet had the opportunity to sit down and do the deed.





I was pretty nervous. Those big flames can be intimidating in real life. But, my new friends coached me through it and I made a great bead! (I still have it!)

I was delighted, so I signed up for a beginning lampworking class the next month with Jari at Boca Loca Beads. After five years at the torch, I can still say that Jari is one of the most talented beadmakers I've ever met. Here are some of her beautiful glass buttons:




Here is a necklace I made with some of my first beads. (I still have it, too!) And a picture of my first studio in the garage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyones got to start somewhere! Those glass buttons Jari made are absolutely amazing. Is it a bracelet?

Lori Smith said...

Lol! Yes, I believe Jari's buttons have been made into a bracelet. Her beads are just exquisite.

Lisa R said...

It brings back memories. I took my first lampworking class in 1997, and my second nearly 10 years later. As much as I love the finished product, I'm not a lampworker. Kudos to those of you who are!

Unknown said...

I love seeing everyone's studio pictures. Looks like you've come a long way since your first bead.